- Adopting a pet saves a life. Not only four legged lives but your own life. Let’s face it having a furry friend in our lives makes us nicer, altruistic…persons.
- Pets are great for photo bombs.
- Pets allow for us to be less self absorbed. Never mind, with the love of a good pet…humans do well psychologically. Which in turn, should cut down on therapy sessions and less Xanax.
- You are never alone with an adopted dog. You are always alone, minus brief moments, with an adopted cat. Still you take what you can get.
- Adoption is not only the ‘in’ thing to do. You will be the envy of all your hip friends…and, they in turn will want to adopt.
- There are inhumane breeders out there totting ‘pedigrees.’ Such places are commonly known as, puppy mills. Puppy mills stack crate upon crate with puppies. These crates typically are not cleaned and the animals fight for survival and food. Just think of the good karma and positive energy you will receive by giving back to your local community.
I grew up with my parent’s pedigrees, Airedales, from private breeders that wanted a boat load of money. And, though I appreciate having always had a four legged friend around…these dogs had many medical and psychological issues. I loved each and every childhood pet. Yet, when I became an adult and managed an animal shelter….I never looked back to ‘buying’ a pet. Their soulful, earnest look, can never be replaced with money.
Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened. –Anatole France