It is not from where we came from
but who we came to be
For obvious reasons…watching this video made me a little more sympathetic towards the Soviet Union!
These are best of times. The worst of times! I am walking the dog in the midst of a snowstorm.
The worst of times being generally, dragging the bedraggled ass across a snow drift, needing to go out to pee at 3 in the morning. And, probably the most difficult moments, watching the dogs vomit over the newly purchased couch.
The best of times? They are innumerable! Which led my suffocating mind to wondering…
What makes you a true dog lover?
- If you walk your dog…often. Sometimes too often! A true dog lover knows the name of each and stranger dog they encounter.
- Not only does the true dog lover know the name of every dog they meet. They tend to forget (or do not even ask) the name of their two-legged friend.
- I lavish the ‘newbie’ dog we encounter with such accolades as: Oh, what a nice young lady you are? Look at your eyes! How deep they are? Where did you get that collar? Pink is your color!
- Sometimes I go so far as reaching under the hood! I suppose that comes from having worked in shelters. But when greeting a four-legged friend…I don’t want to offend by calling, him a her. Or, her… a him. I know personally how insulted my female dog is when she is told she is…handsome. She is not handsome…she is pretty.
- A true dog lover will use a dog’s need for exercise to get out of going to family gatherings. “Honey, can you call your sister and tell her we can’t come for Thanksgiving? There is so little time. And, I haven’t even taken the dogs out yet!”
- I ride with the window down in the summer. The summer in New Hampshire. Which means? No air conditioning because it is a waste of fuel but the dog loves hanging his head out the window. Which means? Window down in the winter. Ten below with the wind chill factor…because the dog likes the window down.
Lastly, I have had to forgive the ‘killings.’ I have a ‘hound’ mix. She came from Georgia, 12 years ago. And, she is not a Georgia peach!
Mattie is sweet, sluggish and solemn! Yet, dangle a small dog, a gopher, a rodent, in front of her…She turns into a low down, dirty shame, killer.
After the first kill, a gopher roaming about at a farm; I had been shaken up. With fervor, I attempted to free the creature from Mattie…yet, the little guy began fighting and screaming. Not with Mattie…but with me. The screaming had started to get to me (my screaming and the gophers.) I just gave up. Survival of the fittest and what not. Thus, from that day forward…I forgave the ‘killings.’
Who am I to judge?
A true dog lover will languish in 70 degree temperatures. Sun is out, no winds, low humidity and perfected landscape.
A true dog lover will also suffer in 10 inches of newly fallen snow, frigid temps and low visibility!
A true dog lover knows…perfect zen moments come from walking the dog.
Before I get too deep
What I am is what I am
Are you what you are – or what?
I’m not aware of too many things
But I do know the smile on a dog…is religion!
Human beings are born into this little span of life of which the best hing is its friendships and intimacies, and soon their places will know them no more, and yet they leave their friendships and intimacies with no cultivation, to grow as they will by the roadside, expecting them to ‘keep’ by force of mere stillness.