Had it been anyone else running bare-ass through the 90’s…perhaps, this need not apply. Yet, I sold my soul to a virtuous brunette and her chains, the repo man and maps forever burning on the side of the ride somewhere slightly passed Scranton, PA.
Campfire morals and delights handed down by Michelle Shocked:
1. It’s been my luck to live to tell the only tale I can..it don’t hurt you when you fall only when you land.
2. Love ain’t no train. It’s more like a broncin’ bull. And, the most you’ve got’s fifteen seconds in that saddle.
3. The path that you have chosen is paved with your intentions!
4. Thinking back on the roads I’d come. Thinking I’d not come that far!
5. Sometimes I take hobos in. But I walk to town if I need a friend.
Lately, the snow has been brown. Seems almost always the scene has been a rustic bad acid trip. Sometimes, ain’t nothing but time to think about family, friends and kin.
I awoke the other morning in a sweat. My dreams filled with ‘if it ain’t right it’s wrong.’ I dragged my sorry ass out of bed. Pumped the Maxwell house like an addict to rock. Held fast to the redneck Iditarod I call ‘parts one and two of the three stooges.’ I took a freshly rolled cigarette, hit play on Ye Ole Boombox and this is what it said:
If I was smart I would take your advice
But I am not and so I have to think twice
Never a lesson have I learned
Without first being burned
Oh, the troubles I’ve known!
I seem to learn everything the hard way
I’m not old enough to be on my own
But I’m much too old to stay
I was about to tell you the truth
All the mistakes of my wasted youth
And why I didn’t make it home on time
But you would have thought
I was only lying
I always believed I ran away
But now I know I was told to go
Maybe it’s worked out better this way
What could you say I didn’t already know?
‘Tell me, Michelle, what could you say that we didn’t already know?’
EARL'S PLACE: "AN OPEN & RESPECTFUL ONLINE SPACE TO DEBATE OPPORTUNITIES & CHALLENGES FACING THE GLOBE," CURATED BY AWARD-WINNING COLUMNIST, EARL PLANTE, AN UNFLINCHING ADVOCATE FOR SOCIAL & ECONOMIC JUSTICE